POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Hall of fame proposals : Re: Hall of fame proposals Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:23:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hall of fame proposals
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 25 Jan 2009 21:59:30
Message: <497d2711@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot wrote:
> Like Steve said: Times have moved on. We do not need anymore to rely
> solely on POV-Ray to create great scenes. Meshes, which I consider the
> greatest step forward since the creation of CSG, are much better created
> in other applications. Maybe some complex things are fun to be made in
> CSG, but if a version version renders a hundredfold faster, then the
> choice is clear. Consider for example Gilles Tran's MakeTree macro. An
> excellent piece of work, still very useful for single trees. But a forest?
> Just forget it. With an application like POV-Tree (and others), the macro
> has become obsolete (As Gilles says himself). And I could cite many other
> examples. So where would the limit be for images to be considered worth
> their inclusion into HOF?

... I don't know if what I say is hard to understand or I'm being *ignored*

I just said there's nothing wrong with using other tools, definitely nothing
wrong with using meshes in your scene. But I wouldn't "vote" for a scene
that was made *entirely* in other programs and fed to POV-Ray, using it as
just a raytracer; because it's *not* just a raytracer.